Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Final Decision


Friends and Family-

If you're reading this, I suppose it means you are somewhat interested in what has been happening with Cari and me over the past few weeks. As of Thursday, April 9th, we have officially decided to move out to Albuquerque, New Mexico. We will be moving Friday, April 24th. As most of you know, I lost my job with Fidelity Investments at the beginning of February due to the recent economic downturn and the need for a reduction in force. I have been actively looking for a job since then, and after hundreds of resume submissions and very little interest from employers, I was given the option to come out to Albuquerque for an interview. The position was with Fidelity's Health and Welfare division as a Client Service Analyst. I've always been interested in the analytical side of the financial services business, so this seemed to be a good opportunity.

Cari and I traveled to ABQ (on our own dime) for the interview. The interview went well, but neither of us really liked the city itself. Luckily we have a couple friends who live out there, and they were extremely hospitable (showed us around, went to lunch, looked at apartments). To make a long story short, I was offered the position with Fidelity and after a potential opportunity with BB&T bank didn't work out, we accepted the offer.

We will both miss our friends and family on the east coast a great deal, but after much prayer and long (sometimes emotional) conversations, we feel as though this is where God is leading us. We're not sure why yet, but we're praying that He reveals His purpose and will for us in His perfect timing. What incredible rest and peace we can find in that! We'll miss the trees/grass (it's all red and brown out there), and I'm still not sure what I'll do without being able to catch every single Panthers, Hurricanes and Tarheels game on TV. However, I feel as though this is a great opportunity for us for my long-term career path interests. Cari hopes to find a teaching job once we get out there and get settled, and we're praying God provides something for her and uses her just as much, if not more, as He's used her here in Raleigh.

That's enough for now! Sorry for the novel, but those of you who know me know that I'm a little long-winded when it comes to writing and emails. We are starting the packing process and are trying to get excited about this new adventure, but I'll try and keep everyone updated through this blog regarding our moving experience, life in New Mexico, etc. Feel free to check back often for new posts and hopefully we'll get some pictures online too. Also, we're excited to have some visitors, so we won't discourage you booking plane tickets now!!! Thanks for everyone's prayers and support. We want you all to know that God has certainly provided, as we've been asking Him to do, and we are excited for what He has planned for our lives in New Mexico!

3 comments:

  1. Go Isotopes (ABQ minor league baseball team)!! The surest path to happiness depends upon your disposition, not your circumstances, and you guys have great dispositions so I know that you will be very happy wherever you go together. I hope that you keep a paper journal, as one day you will enjoy reviewing this avenue of personal and professional growth. Embrace this new frontier and show those cowboys and displaced yanquis what they are missing in NC. Wear a hat and lots of sunscreen, attack each day with resiliency and a sense humor. Finally, remember that the most successful people are those who are good at Plan B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well the good news is that (in my expert opinion) the food in the South West is better then NC. You can go skiing in the winter, should be decent fishing and hunting there too.

    If you drive and come through Dallas Fort Worth let me know I can meet you guys for lunch or dinner. You'll probably take 40 most of the way though.

    Even if the move doesn't work out in the short term I think the experience itself will be rewarding. That's what happened to me with my move to NC.

    Best Wishes Dan,
    Patrick

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Dan, this is Jon D using the wife's sign in since i am too lazy to create one. Man, that's crazy you guys are moving. who'd ever thought?? Not to mention you are now going to be closer to Diporto and we all know that's not a good thing. Ha! just kidding. well, i will keep an eye on this for updates. Still cant believe all this went down. travel safe buddy!

    ReplyDelete